Tuesday, May 15, 2012

How My Obsession With You've Got Mail Turned Into A Book


Some people hate this movie. Hate it. Fox took her store in the end and that makes him a bastard and not a hero. Except every time I looked at the movie and the heroine, Kate aka Shopgirl, I saw a woman stuck in the past. When one of the characters asked her What if you do lose the store what would you do? She looked flummoxed. Her enter life had been that store and nothing else. Hell, even her AOL name was Shopgirl. She identified as nothing else even though it was apparent she loved books.

And, I may have been the only person who watched that movie and thought, Thank God, when the store closed. Go ahead. I'll wait for the tomatoes and rotten eggs to be thrown my way.

Ok. Done?

The single redeeming factor is that from the first scene you knew Fox and Kate belonged with each other and not the pompous buttholes they were with. When they found out who each other were, you knew, just knew, still they belonged together.

In the end I just couldn't get one nugget out of my head: what if you had to let something go? Something you loved with all your heart? Something, that maybe, you should have let go a long time ago.

I bridged that nugget with my favorite trope. The I Loathe The Very Being Of You romance trope. Love it. You get to banter and I love banter. You get to sneak in all the glimpses of the real person underneath and watch the hero and heroine fall. And there's nothing better to get to that scene where the character realizes they are head over heels in love and their general reaction is, Oh, hell. Not you! I mentioned I was bent, right?

And then Lynne sort of just lurked in the back of mind. She's a wannabe rebel. She's a big ol' softie. The more I thought of the type of man who would make her go all Oh, hell. Not you! The more I kept thinking You've Got Mail needs an argument in its defense. (Ok. Not really what I was thinking, but close enough. And it's a Nora Ephron movie and really she needs no defense. She's brilliant.) I imagined the kind of man who'd make her want to strangle herself before falling for him and then Nate started to form. He's alpha, he's a jackass and he's brilliant at what he does. And at the core he's a big ol' softie.

So, yeah, that's the big reveal in how an obsession turned into a book. Frightening or enlightening? lol

4 comments:

David Bridger said...

Don't cry, Shopgirl. :)

I absolutely love this film! Thanks for opening my eyes to an aspect of it I've just accepted without question until now.

Melissa Blue said...

Yes, it's an amazing film. What surprises me is how well it still holds up even though all the tech is so outdated. lol

Glad to have inspired a different view of the movie. Hopefully it'll deepen the experience the next time you watch it.

Aimee Duffy said...

*Shakes head and frowns*

I hate SGM. HATE it. Though I dislike most Tom Hank films.

The thing that got my goat with this was how easily she caved. But yeah, I like the idea of the trope for a romance, just give the heroine a backbone and I'm happy ;o)

Good argument against the haters you have. Still, I just think she suffered from a lack of fem-balls. Once she grew a pair, she'd be fine.

Melissa Blue said...

"Though I dislike most Tom Hank films."

I don't know if I can be your CP after this statement. WHAT?! lol Tom Hanks is one of my favorite actors. The last film sucked butt. But that's not the point.

"The thing that got my goat with this was how easily she caved. But yeah, I like the idea of the trope for a romance, just give the heroine a backbone and I'm happy ;o)"

I guess for me I didn't see it as her giving up. I think she held on for too long. For me, she did do everything she could to defeat Fox, but Fox was big business. No matter how sentimental people are they will go for the cheaper price. That's what Fox Books offered. She was screwed from page one.

"Good argument against the haters you have. Still, I just think she suffered from a lack of fem-balls. Once she grew a pair, she'd be fine."

Here, in a way, I can agree. I wanted her to take her life by the horns. She was languishing (dying) in that store. She stayed because it was comfortable and filled with memories. I wanted her to make her own. She did the things her mother did. Finally, she broke out of her shell but it was too late to save the store. And, thank God. lol