My dear friend Raine has issues with the box. You know the ones that are "genre specific". Well, here are the few I wish weren't so set in stone and some that I wish were a little more accepted.
1. Single mother who isn't a widow.
2. Long-term releationships that just didn't work out. The ex didn't beat or cheat on her, making him the eternal bad guy and woe is the heroine.
3. If she had sex with more than one guy they were all bad guys or those relationships are skimmed over or it was BAD sex.
4. If she's overweight her first experience sucked or she's just had one experience.
5. The hero is a ho, but the heroine's Glittery Hoo-Ha will change him and he won't cheat on HER.
6. Just stop saying the man's teeth flashed. PLEASE.
7. He's a felon, but he didn't do the crime or it was for an honorable reason.
I guess what I want are people who aren't so perfect. A little more complexity. Let me sink my teeth into a character who I can't just say they're good or bad. Let me decide through the story. Here's some books that I'm talking about:
Agnes and The Hitman
Once a Thief
So on and so forth.
Now tell me which genre rules would you like to see less of or what type of stories would you like to see more of.